In light of the recent raids that happened in Oakland, CA, we want to make sure that the community is prepared in case ICE tries to conduct similar operations in the Chicago area and Illinois.
While we do not want to create panic in our communities, we want to make sure we are all informed and prepared.
WHAT WE KNOW
- Last week ICE arrested nearly 200 people in and around Oakland. The current administration has been vocal about targeting “sanctuary cities” such as Chicago.
- ICE is not only picking up people with prior criminal convictions or with final removal orders issued by an immigration judge . Throughout these operations, ICE has been notorious for picking up people in “collateral” arrests if there is a reason to believe people are in the US without legal status.
WHAT WE DO NOT KNOW:
- We do not know which specific areas DHS plans to target or the number of immigrants to be targeted in these operations. We do not have confirmed information of any specific ICE activity, including raids, workplace audits or other ICE enforcement activity.
- It is important to be prepared for all scenarios
- NILC’s Employer Guide: What To Do If Immigration Comes to Your Workplace
- Legal Aid at Work’s: Employer Guide to ICE Worksite Enforcement: ENGLISH, SPANISH,